Thursday, October 20, 2011

LANDING!! June 7-9,2011

Yep...
June 7-8, 2011
Read: Finished 2 Chronicles; John 17
            Left the Atlanta Airport in the morning heading to John F. Kennedy airport in New York. Then took a nap in the airport and before we knew it – There we were on our way to Kolkata India. It was a long ride! But I was pleasantly surprised by the full-course Indian food served on the plane (I was expecting like goldfish or something)  and the smell. Totally caught me off guard. I thought it was so cool to see the flight attendants dressed in Saris and salwar kameez suits! Bit into a pepper on the plane that I thought was a string bean…not a string bean.
            We were picked up at the airport- I was also surprised that customs was no big deal. Met Andy, Billy, and Bill, the three missionaries my team would be serving with for the summer. Billy would be our supervisor. We all called our parents and it was such a joy to hear my family’s voices! When we went to get a taxi, I found it very interesting that the supervisors had trouble finding their pre-paid taxi. I saw firsthand how important it is to actually live in the culture and not just amongst the people. Went through traffic. Driving through the city was soooo exciting and wonderfully terrifying at the same time! 


June 9,2011

            Ezra 1-2, John 18

Great Bazaar aka New Market
Woke up to banging. Seriously thought terrorists were coming to deport me. It was the boys calling us to breakfast….they forgot we said we would skip it to sleep in
Today we would meet a journey girl named Karis who had lived in the city for two years now! She would be taking us to a place called New Market to go shopping for clothes. It is culturally inappropriate for a girl to wear shorts, shirts exposing the collarbone, shirts that do not cover the bottom, or even capris. We really wanted to be appropriate or at least culturally chic.  As we walked through the market, I loved all the bright vibrant colors! Dogs roam the streets. People were everywhere. There were different shops for everything you could imagine. All outdoors! I mean watch stands and shoe stands, hat stands and jewelry stands. I remember thinking my gosh, can you actually go inside any of the stores. There were a few but they were very similar in set-up to the ones outside- lots of stuff and very close together. Bargaining was going to be a challenge to me but watching Karis was like watching a live auction! She is truly an amazing girl! She was so kind and diligent to us!
Later that day we went to a temple called the Birla temple. Honestly, by that time I had had my fill of India that day and didn’t even want to take pictures of/or with the place. Once inside, I was heartbroken.  It had 8 or 9 gods represented there. I was tore up when I saw people paying to receive a blessing called Bashish, which is actually a little white piece of food that is sacrificed to the idol.
Left to meet Kayla, another journeygirl, for coffee! We stopped by a KFC just before hand and I was so surprised to see English signs everywhere and even more so when I heard  Taylor Swift’s “Mine” playing on the loud speakers. Then the country “chicken fried” song that always reminds me of Cale Ward played. I mean my goodness am in India? It was so different from the earlier events of the day!
June 10, 2011
            Read: Ezra 3-5, John 18 (again)

Meeting @ supervisors home: Met Billy’s wife Lydia and their two kids William and baby Hannah. We went over there to learn Henna!
                          
            Emailed Dad this morning. I also took pictures today. Yesterday I was just so overwhelmed. I was apathetic. The temple was beautiful but it was really too much in one day so I couldn’t really appreciate it or feel true sorrow for the people worshipping.
            Today is much better…. I revisited my purpose. I am here to evangelize these Indians. That is why I am here. Discovered Subway- which is seriously an example of glocalizaton
Mosque- head covering
·        Spoke with a man who explained Muslim wear!
·        Watched them carry a casket in
o       Because it was a “funeral” we weren’t allowed in
Language learned thus far
o       Jesu appliquer balibashan- Jesus loves you

Mahendi party!
Today’s lesson was Creation. One day one God created the light. We drew a sun and moon for day one. Then we drew dry land and water.
·        Day 3- Stars, Moon Sun-
·        Day 4- Plants- represented by vines
·        Day 5- Birds, fish, animals- represented by a duck
·        Day 6- Humans- represented by two hearts: one representing man and the other woman

We ate simosas which are spicy vegetable/meat rolls covered in fried bread! We will have Mehandi lessons every Friday. I love this! Fridays will be my favorite. Honestly seeing the women tell the story of Cretion and how happy they were filled my own heart with joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the Good Life

Questions?
Email me: angela.e.blocker@gmail.com